Welcome!

Shae O'Brien grew up in the Pacific Northwest, and it has bred her to have a love for music, coffee, the ocean, and rain. Her love for writing was planted at a young age, with the encouragement of beautiful family and inspiring teachers, and grew into a passion she cannot go a day without. During the day, Shae is also an English teacher, promoting the art of the written word among the youth of Austin. Her writing has been featured in publications such as Off The Wookie, AIPF Di-verse-city Anthology 2012, and TWENTY: Poems In Memoriam. She recently self-published her first chapbook, "Truths Unspoken", which takes the reader on a poetic journey through the passion, love, heartbreak, and rebirth of a relationship. You may find her on any given night writing or performing her work around Austin, TX.



Please note that all poems and/or parts are the property of Shae O'Brien and should not be shared without giving due credit.



Thank you.






Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Shave

I shaved my legs.
That's what single girls do.
I've heard.
So, I did.
But when we got to the bar
And the bouncer began to hit on me
I still turned to him with
"Sorry, I've got a boyfriend"
Painted on my lips
Like a deep shade of red.
Will it always be this way?
Will I always want to call you
At the end of the night when I'm tipsy
And tell you about the band
That made Jimi sound like Mayer
And Zeppelin sound like Jet
And swear that I'm never going to
Another show until you're here?
Maybe not.
Maybe the next time I go out
I'll use my smooth soft legs
Like ammo against an unaware
Victim to buy me a drink or two.
Maybe he'll remind me why
Single girls shave their legs
And jog my memory in such a way
That I'll forget my desire to call
You at the end of the night
And end up alone in my room
Writing poetry like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment