Welcome!

Shae O'Brien grew up in the Pacific Northwest, and it has bred her to have a love for music, coffee, the ocean, and rain. Her love for writing was planted at a young age, with the encouragement of beautiful family and inspiring teachers, and grew into a passion she cannot go a day without. During the day, Shae is also an English teacher, promoting the art of the written word among the youth of Austin. Her writing has been featured in publications such as Off The Wookie, AIPF Di-verse-city Anthology 2012, and TWENTY: Poems In Memoriam. She recently self-published her first chapbook, "Truths Unspoken", which takes the reader on a poetic journey through the passion, love, heartbreak, and rebirth of a relationship. You may find her on any given night writing or performing her work around Austin, TX.



Please note that all poems and/or parts are the property of Shae O'Brien and should not be shared without giving due credit.



Thank you.






Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Broken Poetry

When I was a little girl I told stories
Stories sometimes called lies
Or imagination
Or daydreams
And then finally
One day my mother called it
Poetry.

Poetry.

The only way I knew how to draw
The hummingbirds I saw behind my eyes
The only way I knew how to play
The symphonies that plucked at my heart
The only way I knew how to scream
The truths that pounded my soul

So I wrote.

Sewing words together like patchwork
Trying to create something beautiful
To warm the shivering
To hang like art
To study with a critical eye
And finally to love

Or hate

Or shrug at

As long as it is considered.


But somedays my words are just words
And though I try to fit them together like puzzle pieces
They never recreate Van Gogh's Starry Night
Or resemble Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah
Or whisper in someone's ear sweet, sincere, sol-changing somethings.

Somedays my words are just words.

And on those days my words are replaced with crystal clear tears
Awaiting light to shine the color out of them that is hidden inside
But that I could not pry open with my mediocrity.

They fall down my face and onto my paper
In broken poetry wishing to be written

Gay.......illuminate...........beauty.....worthwhile
......soul................joyful..........horrid...please
lovely.............dreams........simple...........never
.......us.................so....................possibility
.........or..............all......................love
........if ................................live.loud
.........to.........................truth.......amen
.......he.........................why...pain..faith
....................................maybe...make
..............................................no
...................................m........play
............................................heat
.....................................y.....rancid
............................................forever
................................r............heaven
.................................i.............waiting
...............................a..................gong
...........................................who
.................................d......sigh
.........................passion.ice.scene.it
....................zen.technocolor.lazy.I ..... !!!!!
.......................eh.petals.golden.you
..............................fine
.............................hand
..............................folk
...............................hate
...............................hope
...............................we
.......engage...need..yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment