Welcome!

Shae O'Brien grew up in the Pacific Northwest, and it has bred her to have a love for music, coffee, the ocean, and rain. Her love for writing was planted at a young age, with the encouragement of beautiful family and inspiring teachers, and grew into a passion she cannot go a day without. During the day, Shae is also an English teacher, promoting the art of the written word among the youth of Austin. Her writing has been featured in publications such as Off The Wookie, AIPF Di-verse-city Anthology 2012, and TWENTY: Poems In Memoriam. She recently self-published her first chapbook, "Truths Unspoken", which takes the reader on a poetic journey through the passion, love, heartbreak, and rebirth of a relationship. You may find her on any given night writing or performing her work around Austin, TX.



Please note that all poems and/or parts are the property of Shae O'Brien and should not be shared without giving due credit.



Thank you.






Sunday, February 26, 2012

The Upper Room

I rise from the pew and begin
One step, and another
Toward tradition and ritual.
I pause before the alter to bow
Eyes shut in obedience
A moment of silence, of darkness...

I open them to a dimly lit room
The flicker of well-oiled wicks
Cast dancing shadows across
Clay made rock made wall.
Before me a congregation of
Ordinary men and women
An intimate setting of hushed voices
No I recognize by image
Except one.

With a lifting of His hands
We make silence and find seating
On worn wooden benches
Work of His father perhaps?
His eyes speak love,
Though His lips say nothing
I wonder if He knows
The worth of His words.

He bows before me with
Dampened rag in hand.

Will you give Me your feet?

He sits beside me
Holds His arms out in prayer

Will you give Me your hands?

He breaks the bread
Offers hardened morsel

Will you give Me your lips?

He pours the wine
Hallowed cup now made full

Will you give Me your body?

I watch as my company of
Ordinary men and women
Accept His offerings without hesitation
I wonder if they know
The worth of their reception.

Overwhelmed by humility
Eyes shut in my tears
A moment of silence, of darkness...

I open them to an alter
My priest stands before me
His eyes speak love,
Though his lips say nothing
As he offers a hardened morsel.

Will you give Me your body?

I accept his offering without hesitation
But with a humble and knowing

Amen.

2 comments:

  1. So vivid. This takes me right there, in that moment, in that spiritual place, so personal, so moving. Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, Shae. Thanks and praise be to Him. KB

    ReplyDelete