Welcome!

Shae O'Brien grew up in the Pacific Northwest, and it has bred her to have a love for music, coffee, the ocean, and rain. Her love for writing was planted at a young age, with the encouragement of beautiful family and inspiring teachers, and grew into a passion she cannot go a day without. During the day, Shae is also an English teacher, promoting the art of the written word among the youth of Austin. Her writing has been featured in publications such as Off The Wookie, AIPF Di-verse-city Anthology 2012, and TWENTY: Poems In Memoriam. She recently self-published her first chapbook, "Truths Unspoken", which takes the reader on a poetic journey through the passion, love, heartbreak, and rebirth of a relationship. You may find her on any given night writing or performing her work around Austin, TX.



Please note that all poems and/or parts are the property of Shae O'Brien and should not be shared without giving due credit.



Thank you.






Friday, February 3, 2012

Foxie

I wanted to name her Baby.
My mother had the sense to suggest that there might
Come a time when she grows up,
And so I changed my answer to Foxie.

Foxie.

Thinking back on it now I don't believe the name suited her.

She was a grand creature, even when no bigger than my hand.
Elongating her form to stretch languishly over the arm chair,
Prancing ever-so-silently throughout the house
With an air of sophistication and regal authority.
She was a queen among mere humans
And I always believed she knew it.

Yet on my sad days,
When daddy forgot to pick me up for our weekend
Or mommy was too stressed out from work to play
She was never above rubbing against my leg for a pet,
Licking my tears to give my hope a bath,
Purring blessings upon my heartache.

On sunny days she would attack the fringes of my jeans,
Hiss protective warnings against dumbfounded dogs,
Meet me on my pillow for a midnight dream.

Years later, grown up,
I learned to lick my own tears,
Pray for my own blessings,
Defend my own heart,
Cut the fringes off my jeans.

I never realized my actions said my goodbyes.

As I moved forward and on,
She took her bow unnoticed,
Ever the lady of my heart
A queen named Foxie.

No comments:

Post a Comment